Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Try it Out Tuesday: Love your old sweater!

I honestly wouldn't have tried this out if I didn't know Tuesday was coming and I hadn't made anything!!  Seriously, start to blog and you'll feel more accountable to do the things you say you will;)  My friend Laura told me about the blog "Adventures in Dressmaking."  It's not a blog I too regularly follow, but I do check it out for a random DIY clothing idea or two.

I've been going through clothing...and...everything...for a garage sale coming up this summer.  There's always those few things that I don't want to part with b/c it's a kick ass color, potentially wearable in another year with new trends;), will fit another time, etc.  But I decided if it's not something I have worn for 6 months I have to either remake it or garage sale/thrift store it!

Enter:  Ugly fitted, sweet colored, old sweater with too deep of a v-neck:

I used this tutorial from Adventures in Dressmaking.

But...it was too lengthy and I only had an hour or so before I was going to lose interest in finishing what I was about to start...so I just tried some things...


Like cutting the sweater down the middle...


Sewing a too-short-of-stitch on one side that caused it to ruffle weird...


And then sewing a much better, less tensioned side...


And looking at a pocket from a fellow cardigan...


Mainly eyeballin' everything...


And pressing the sides around...


To make sewing it on a lot easier...


And then (even though you can't really see it) sewing a row of 2 stitches parallel on the top side of the pocket...


Pinned it on...


And then opened a bottle of Big Fish riesling from the penny sale while Justin watched Star Wars and working on his rack thing...


And sewed it on...


And decided it wasn't complete...so used another one of Adventure in Dressmaking tutorial to embellish my first felted flower on clothes!  (i was excited.)


I actually did follow this tutorial...


And realized I'm not very good following directions...


Because things end up imperfect...but that's how I like it;)


Indeed.



I actually like it:)


But I would put a button on to allow the very top to button...



Next time...

xoxo

2 comments (+add yours?)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linnea said...

Your tutorial is so inspiring. I keep looking at it. Sometimes it seems overwhelming! Soon though, soon. I always start making something thinking I'll make it a tutorial but then get distracted by the making and forget to take pictures. Also, why does taking good pictures have to be SO hard!