Monday, July 25, 2011

You're so dirty.

I'm just super stoked that things actually keep growing in our gardens so I wanted to throw out some photos I took today and compare with a couple from last year and earlier this year!  The above is an asiatic lily that I totally thought would never grow...however, our master gardener friend said we should go for it!  (which, by the way, if you would like to come along with us sometime this week maybe to see his flowers in bloom let me know!)...

I'm loving perennial gardening...however, it does take some patience...some things seem to die when you first plant them, but come fall or the following year they rock it...and most take until the next year to be voluptuous!

This is from last year around the end of July...

This is this year in later May...

This is from today (as are all the following!)...



Heard of moneywort?  It's an awesome lime green colored cover plant - this is from today and I'll be able to transplant parts of it next year to help cover more of the garden instead of mulch!

This is what the moneywort started as!

And some more flowerings from today...



So as for veggies...last year I took a hit as my first year with a "lasagna garden" - (check out my post on how I started one).  I did have some mold in just one corner of the bed and then couldn't figure out what went wrong with my tomatoes.  So I decided to add the following...

Organic Zoom Garden Food pellets that make your plants grow stronger and supposedly 2x's as large...and Miracle Grow Organic Topsoil...

This is the initial planting of the garden.  I had also read to rotate where tomatoes go, so even though they would later block some sunlight, I went for placing them mostly in the opposing side of the raised garden.  Ham loved licking the zoom.  And supposedly if you poke 2 pinholes into milk jugs and fill them with water they will water your plant for you over the week.  Worked with only 1 of the jugs...which I did that for for about...2 weeks...and then stopped;)

This is today!  WAAAAY huger than last year!  I used a variety of tomato plants from heirloom to Big Boy...there's jalapeno's and bell peppers surviving in the front, too!  I had initially put up sticks and saran wrap to block the crazy wind from the new plants...and it totally worked...just looks a little silly now after all the storms...

A hops plant from our master gardener friend!  These guys (3) totally died.  Totally dead.  We left them alone, however, after transplanting them in late May and now look at them!!  They = homebrew by Justin someday.

My goal is to have a plan for all the tomato action that is going to happen.  Last year...no plan. 

Also excited for some new plants in the 2nd bed we built...like kale for that Olive Garden soup that Justin makes and is mind blowing.

Also, an eggplant, garlic, onions, watermelon (I know, I know, we don't have a long enough growing season for that...), and herbs in the background.

I literally, seriously, do not touch the garden to water, weed, etc. the rest of the year after some watering the first week of planting.  I love these raised beds!

And tonight, a first from our harvest - fresh basil in our favorite "You Won't Be Single For Long Vodka Cream  Pasta" by Rachel Ray.  Try it!  We add chicken, also.  It's a huge batch and awesome for leftovers! 

And...because you have leftover heavy cream or whipping cream from the above...you really should make some brownies from a box and whip the cream in your mixer with a tish of powder sugar for a super easy, sooo good dessert!  (I always have a box of brownies on hand.  It's a necessity.)

How's you growing going?

xoxo

4 comments (+add yours?)

RK said...

Can I borrow 1 cup of vodka? (=

crazyhorse said...

I love your flowers out front. My friend Brooke is wanting to edge around her back yard pool with wild flowers and I'm going to show her your front bed for inspiration! :)

Linnea said...

Can I please please go with you to look at his flowers!?! I'm so pumped to be able to comment on your blog again and see the pictures! It's definitely not the same without the pictures...

AshleyM said...

kara - ironice thing is that we finally ran out of our vodka! next time we stock up i'll run you over a cup:)